Wednesday, October 20, 2010

1964 TOPPS CHARLIE SMITH #519 PSA 8 (ST)



This is the only graded card I own that has a qualifier: ST, for stain.

I won it accidentally for $3-- the seller hadn't listed the qualifier in the auction title, and I was lazy enough to miss it in the scan and the item description.

But I can't for the life of me find the stain. I took it out on the patio the other day and swirled it around in the sun like a gold panner, but couldn't see a hint of gum or wax.

Perhaps the stain is... THE GODDAM WHITE SOX UNIFORM.

I mean, that banner across the card front seems pretty clear: M E T S.

Yet somehow Charlie is representing the South Side.

Generally, Topps airbrushers would have at these photos with all the finesse of your stoner neighbor up the block decorating his van with a Point of Know Return mural. But this they let slide...

No comments:

Post a Comment